? How to run a Saturday Lithuanian heritage class at home - Lithuanian language - Teksaso Lietuviai - Texas Lithuanians
Dallas Houston Austin San Antonio Texas estate prices and houses. auto classifieds and sales, rent. Appartament rent and lease. Properties for sale in Texas. Dallas, Houston lawyers. car lease. Houston entertainment and night life. Universities and colledger in Houston and Dallas. Food, receiptes, restourants, bars, pubs.

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

texas-bronius
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:21:06 PM(UTC)
texas-bronius

Man
United States

Growing up in central Texas, we spoke Lithuanian in our home and when we got together with relatives. Somehow, my mother pulled it off and even had attempted to give us proper Lithuanian lessons on tape with books.

I have been interested in passing on my Lithuanian heritage to my boys (currently ages 8 and below still) in a way that ought to work for us: Saturday mornings, 1/2 to 1hr at a time, with some structured sharing of content consisting of vocabulary grammar, some historical/cultural facts, music, and stories. I seek to build my own curriculum and learning materials, and I think online would be a good medium.

What I picture is a basic website that provides structured, session-by-session lessons. A visitor can browse and hop around by interest to make his own curriculum. A session consists of:
- Vocabulary (basic words, some from the story that follows)
- Story (can be Biblical, folk, or other) and its translation
- Letters, numbers, pronunciation
- Lithuanian song
- Facts, history, or cultural trivia

Does anyone have any ideas, tips, or wish to collaborate? I figure with enough content contributors, there would be a sufficient series of sessions and solid curriculum.

Here's a great resource for some stories that mimics the story portion:
http://thelithuanians.com/page9.html
It shows Lithuanian stories side by side, line by line, in English and Lithuanian.

-Bronius